What is a Doula?
A doula (meaning “a woman who serves”) is a professional who is trained in childbirth and provides continuous support to a mother before, during, and just after birth.
Why Use a Doula?
• 30% Reduction in Cesarean rate
• 25 % Shorter labor
• 30% Reduction in Pitocin use
• 30% More enjoyable birth experience
Who Needs a Doula?
The Woman who:
• births in a hospital, at home, or in a birth center
• feeds from the breast, a bottle, or both
• wants all the drugs, no drugs, or to wait and see
• deserves respect, support, encouragement, and peace
What Do Doulas Do?
• Supports the birth you want
• Offers physical and emotional support
• Provides information
• Never leaves the mother’s side
• Helps you deal with the unexpected
• Is there for partners too
• DO NOT deliver babies or offer medical services